Attaching EL Wire

I’ve started attaching the EL wire to the sign.

I first attached it using a Gel Superglue, but it spread terribly and left cloudy marks everywhere, so I carefully undid my work and went looking for another glue.

I settled on Selleys Multigrip, the one which dries clear.

In what I can only once again put down to a stroke of genius, I covered some powerful rare earth magnets in heatshrink (to stop them damaging the clear coat/varnish) and used these as “clamps” to hold everything in place while the glue dried.

It’s now a very slow process to attach the EL wire. It will likely take me 10 minutes a day for the next week or so to attach it about four inches at a time as the glue takes a good day to dry.

The glue is still leaving a little bit of a mess, but I’m hoping I ca carefully clean it up with a knife, then hide it all under another coat or two of the clear coat/varnish once complete.

Posted in EL Sign, Electronics, Projects

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*